Sunday, September 11, 2011

The True Zest For Life

The Gulf News had recently published an article mentioning the 24 year old Yusra who has been suffering from a neuromuscular disease since birth, and for the last eleven years she has been on a life support machine - being able to breathe only with the help of a ventilator. She can't talk, nor can she move her body except for her fingers.

One would imagine her to pass her time sleeping, or being taken care of by others. But instead, the amazing Yusra  likes to always dress nicely and has recently completed her International Baccalaureate with an 81.9 percentage from the confines of her hospital bed and is now planning on obtaining a higher education. Being unable to speak or move, her two means of communications are her laptop and blackberry.

I love posting quotes by beautiful women on my blog, that's why I felt Yusra deserves a mention. The above quote wasn't even spoken by Yusra, but typed by her on her laptop. I was really moved by Yusra's determination to improve her life and had I been in her place, I would have most definitely given up. I need to remind myself of Yusra every time I'm feeling down...if she can smile and still think life is a blessing in spite of all that she is going through...I should surely be able to do the same. 

7 comments:

Chick Flick Journal said...

MashAllah. This is a very sad inspirational story. When I read about these stories I feel so ashamed of myself. People are going through huge things like this and life goes on for them but we face tiny problems and make huge deals. Thank you for sharing xx

Deema said...

Yousra is an amazing and an inspiring lady.. I wish we all are more like her.. God bless her

äмän ♥ said...

=( May Allah bless her <3 *hearts*

♡ αmαℓ said...

Aw, God bless her. Very inspiring..

Ginger said...

Mashallah 3aleeha !! God bless her !!
Lamia

http://ginger-chocolateandhoney.blogspot.com/

Kel said...

This is an amazing story of the triumph of the human spirit.

Truly inspiring.

Lots of love from Sydney,

x Kel

melbourne: bows and zara

sadia said...

Thank you all for your comments! <3