Thursday, September 27, 2012

Five Days in Paradise



After years of lusting after photos of the Maldives, I was lucky enough to be able to finally visit the beautiful country earlier this month, and I kid you not, the photos don't do any justice to its beauty.

When planning a holiday to the Maldives, the biggest challenge is finding a resort that's right for you and after days of research, I finally chose to get an Island Villa on Coco Palm Bodu Hithi and it turned out to be just perfect. After making considerations for price, availability and all the other boring stuff, high on my priority list was a private pool and access to a beautiful beach right at my doorstep and I got exactly that. The staff were also friendly and very accommodating, taking care I was given my privacy because of my hijab, etc.

The resort is just a (fun) 40 minutes speedboat ride away froMalé International Airport and as soon as I set foot on the island, I couldn't stop smiling...and taking photos! I couldn't believe I was actually there! The resort is simply breathtaking, with its beautiful waters, gorgeous villas and pathways with thick, luscious planting on either side, that make you feel like you're walking through a tropical forest when making your way around the island.

As a foodie, this post would be incomplete unless I comment on how great the food was...and GREAT it was. Every morning I nearly skipped along the path leading to the Air Restaurant that served the breakfast buffet. The quality and variety of dishes in the buffet was as good as anywhere else I've been and the food was simple delicious (Gosh I miss those waffles!!). I loved eating out in the open, getting sea sprayed and enjoying the beautiful views. The restaurant staff was also very nice! It was nice to see their smiley, polite faces early in the morning..hehe!

The staff, which is made up mostly of natives are very friendly and keen to strike up a conversation. 
Sanjay, the guest relation officer was extremely helpful and on my second day on the island, made arrangements for me to switch villas so that I could have access to the most beautiful area of  the beach on the island. Rauf, my villa attendant was equally nice! He came to clean the place twice a day and loved to chat. Rauf even tried teaching me a few words in his language, which I had a very hard time pronouncing correctly. Another staff member whom I found extremely helpful was the Spa receptionist/manager Cynthia. Each treatment room at the Coco Spa has its own private infinity pool. Cynthia made sure I got the room that had the most private pool that wasn't overlooked from anywhere!

All in all, it was a perfect holiday, and I can't wait to go back! 

Leaving the airport by speedboat
Arriving at Coco Palm Bodu Hithi
Urns such as this one at the steps leading up to my villa, are places at every short distance around the resort, filled with water with which to wash your feet.
The Other Hand by Chris Cleave was what I read throughout the trip...especially while lounging by the pool
The private infinity pool in my treatment room at Coco Spa
Beautiful marine life and clear waters
This Khiel sunblock is amazing! I'm so happy I bought it at Dubai airport.
Had a "Kurumba" for the first time

Traditional Maldivian handicraft
Went kayaking around the island. It's harder than it looks. My arms and legs were about to fall off midway. But the sights were totally worth the pain.
Leaving the island early in the morning.

Last glimpse of the islands...*sigh*

















2 comments:

Ginger said...

Amazing place !! seems like you really enjoyed !! :)
Lamia
http://www.ginger-chocolateandhoney.blogspot.com/

Florine D. Marioli said...

It seems to be amazing